Grand Journey of America's West - end Rapid City, Summer 2021
Brochure Type: 2021 Americas
From a mix of glamour and bohemian charms in San Francisco, to the lush landscapes of the Sierras, this unique trip takes you on an eclectic journey through the heart of America's West. A combination of our Enchanting Canyonlands and American Parks Trail trips, you'll experience everything from the mystical healing powers of Sedona, to the world famous Grand Canyon and the Japanese tea gardens of Golden Gate Park. You'll enhance your experience by staying at lodges within the National Parks themselves, allowing you to not only witness, but wake up to show stopping views.
- Grand Teton National Park: Relax at Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa and savour a Dinner with wine in the heart of the Tetons.
- San Francisco: Join your Travel Director and fellow travellers at 18:00 for a Welcome Dinner with wine.
- Monterey: Have your choice of three local restaurants during your Dine-Around evening in Monterey.
- Santa Barbara: In the evening, dinner with wine awaits at the local Opal Restaurant & Bar.
- Los Angeles: Join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a Highlight Dinner with wine at Nick and Stef's Steakhouse, named 'Best Steakhouse in the Country' by the Food Network.
- Scottsdale: Mingle over a delightful dinner with wine at the resort's renowned Zuzu Restaurant.
- Grand Canyon: Enjoy dinner with an incredible view at the Thunderbird Room, overlooking the South Rim.
- Zion National Park: Join your new friends for a Highlight Dinner within Zion National Park at the lodge's Red Rock Grill.
- Salt Lake City: Dinner with wine will be served at your hotel this evening.
- UCross Ranch: Savour a hearty ranch style Highlight Dinner, prepared by your local hosts.
- Custer: Toast to the finale of your trip at your Celebration Dinner served at your lodge within Custer State Park.
- Dining Summary: 22 Breakfasts (B), 10 Dinners with wine (DW).
- Yosemite National Parks: Visit Yosemite National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and experience its beauty on a ranger-led valley floor tour.
- Salinas: Otherwise known as the "The Salad Bowl of the World", Salinas offers the chance to enjoy a farmer's agricultural tour of an heirloom artichoke farm.
- Venice Beach: Join a Local Expert for a walking tour of Venice Beach, Muscle Beach, the Canals and Walkways and explain Abbot Kinney's role in the development of the 'Venice of America'.
- Los Angeles: Join a Local Expert for a behind-the-scenes tour of a historic downtown theatre.
- Grand Canyon: Join Local Expert Canyon Tim for an informative presentation and witness the burnt orange hues of the canyon walls.
- Monument Valley: Join a Navajo guide in an open-air vehicle to explore the iconic vistas of this Navajo Tribal Park.
- Black Hills: View Crazy Horse Memorial, which is dedicated to all Native Americans. An exclusive Insight Experience awaits as you are taken up to the 641 feet (195 metres) long and 563 feet (172 metres) tall sculpture to stand face to face with the world's largest mountain carving.
- San Francisco: Visit Golden Gate Park, before walking across the emblematic Golden Gate Bridge and travelling on to the city of Sausalito.
- Scenic Drives: 17-Mile Drive past the Pebble Beach Golf Links.
- Paso Robles: Enjoy a guided visit and wine tasting in the heart of Central California Wine Country.
- Santa Barbara: Walk along Santa Barbara's Historic State Street to Stearns Wharf.
- Santa Barbara: Visit Mission Santa Barbara, a historic Spanish mission founded by the Franciscan order in 1786.
- Los Angeles: Drive along Sunset Boulevard, see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and TCL Chinese Theatre.
- Sedona: Explore Sedona before heading to Grand Canyon National Park.
- Cameron: Stop at the historic Trading Post, established in the early 1900s as a place where Native American's traded wool and livestock.
- Glen Canyon: Stop at the Glen Canyon Dam to learn about its impact on the Colorado River before arriving at your lakefront resort . Visit the dam that stands 710 feet or 216 meters high, and provides water and power to western communities.
- Lake Powell: A testament to the power of water over rock, glide through the narrow sandstone turns of Antelope Canyon during your cruise.
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Enjoy the rugged beauty with a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the hoodoos.
- Zion National Park: The most relaxing and informative way to see the grandeur and natural features of the canyon is by a private shuttle that includes live commentary.
- Yellowstone: Continue to Yellowstone, the world's first National Park. Known for its unique geothermal activity, spectacular landscapes and abundant wildlife.
- Yellowstone: Catch the colourful bubbling mud pots and observe Old Faithful geyser shooting water over 120 feet (37 metres) into the air. The Upper Geyser Basin boasts the highest concentration of spouting geysers, hot springs and steaming fumaroles in the world.
- Cody: Explore the award-winning Buffalo Bill Center of the West, known for its excellent Western art collection and natural history.
- UCross: Spend your morning doing as the locals do, exploring your surroundings by horseback with a gentle ride (8) led by a Local Expert.
- Black Hills: Make your way to Devils Tower, an astounding geological feature that protrudes out of the surrounding the Black Hills.
- Deadwood: Historical Wild West figures such as Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane called Deadwood home. Learn about the Gold Rush and the town's notable residents aboard Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour with a Local Expert.
- Black Hills: View iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial where carvings of Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt overlook the landscape.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (518) 477-4700 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15110493
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2020
- 23 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||San Francisco||San Francisco, the City by the Bay.: California here we come. A mix of modern glamour and bohemian charms, you've arrived in the Golden Gate City, a location famous for its rolling hills, colourful houses and eclectic architecture. You'll be picked up at San Francisco International Airport and whisked straight to your centrally located hotel. There you'll be left to settle in or go for a quick wander, before joining your Travel Director and fellow travellers at 18:00 for a Welcome Dinner and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, San Francisco.
|Day 2||San Francisco||Exploring San Francisco.: Get ready for a fun-filled day exploring the city. Hop aboard an iconic cable car for a ride along the picturesque streets. Visit the Cable Car Museum in the Nob Hill neighbourhood of San Francisco. Afterwards, take in the city with a few photo stops. Visit the bucolic Golden Gate Park, before walking across the emblematic Golden Gate Bridge and travelling on to the city of Sausalito. A scenic ferry ride will bring you back to San Francisco, where the rest of your day is at leisure. Your Travel Director is on hand to make suggestions for making the most of your evening. (Breakfast)|
|Day 3||Yosemite National Park||Yosemite National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site .: Travelling through California's Gold Country, you'll drive through the imposing Sierra Nevada mountains. Experience Yosemite National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on a ranger-led valley floor tour. The park is abundant in wildlife, so look out for Mule deer, and if you're lucky you may catch a glimpse of a black bear. Rest up on your free evening at Yosemite Valley Lodge, located inside the park and close to Yosemite Falls, North America's highest waterfall. On a clear evening you'll be able to take in the sparkling night sky over the park. (Breakfast)|
Yosemite Valley Lodge.
|Day 4||Monterey||Yosemite National Park to Monterey.: Leave Yosemite behind as you take in the Sierras before you are swept through the fertile San Joaquin Valley, also known as the 'food basket of the world'. Stop at the Merced Fruit Barn which features its diverse produce. In Salinas, the heart of "The Salad Bowl of the World", enjoy a farmer's agricultural tour of a local farm, known for heirloom artichokes. Once in Monterey you'll head to your hotel situated on the waterfront street Cannery Row. (Breakfast)|
InterContinental The Clement Monterey.
|Day 5||Monterey||Monterey, the Cradle of History.: Today you'll journey to Carmel-by-the-Sea, a quaint seaside community where you'll have ample free time. There you will have the opportunity to browse a range of art galleries, local shops and the chance to stock up on souvenirs. Enjoy a relaxing drive across the Monterey Peninsula and along 17-Mile Drive, where you can take in the stunning ocean views, Pebble Beach Golf Links and multi-million dollar mansions. A Dine-Around Evening awaits upon your return to Monterey. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 6||Santa Barbara||The American Riviera.: Experience a guided tour and wine tasting at a Paso Robles winery, en route to Santa Barbara. Walk along a portion of palm tree lined State Street, the heartbeat of Santa Barbara and stop at the Spanish-Colonial style County Courthouse. Check in to your idyllic beachfront hotel, ideal for making the most of your stay along the grand 'American Riviera'. You'll be presented with white buildings, terracotta rooves, beautiful weather and an array of bars and restaurants. In the evening, dinner with wine awaits at the local Opal Restaurant & Bar, a Santa Barbara favorite for 20 years serving eclectic California cuisine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort.
|Day 7||Los Angeles||Santa Monica and L.A.: No trip to Santa Barbara would be complete without a visit to the iconic Mission Santa Barbara. Here you'll learn about the chain of 21 missions along California's El Camino Real and explore its blooming grounds. Your passionate and knowledgeable Local Expert will take you on a walking tour of Venice Beach, Muscle Beach, and the canals. Arrive at your modern L.A. hotel. (Breakfast)|
InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown.
|Day 8||Los Angeles||The Glitz and Glam of L.A.: Explore Los Angeles with your Travel Director. Experience a bit of nostalgia in Downtown as you ride aboard the lovingly restored Angel's Flight Railway. Next, you will be treated to an exclusive and private guided visit of the Los Angeles Theatre, a grandiose historic movie palace that is closed to the public. Visit Hollywood and Highland, where observation decks allow for the best views of the Hollywood sign. See the iconic TCL Chinese Theatre as you walk along the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Drive along the famous Sunset Strip to Beverly Hills before walking along Rodeo Drive. Select a visit to either the Petersen Automotive Museum or the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures for a Your Choice experience. Tonight, enjoy a Highlight Dinner at Nick and Stef's Steakhouse. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Scottsdale||Across the Mojave.: Experience the rugged charms of the Mojave Desert wilderness as you make your way to Scottsdale. Look out for the Joshua trees and wildlife found in the National Park, you might just spot a jackrabbit or coyote. Once in Scottsdale you can relax in the hotel after a long day and replenish for your upcoming adventures. Mingle over a delightful dinner with wine at the resort's renowned Zuzu Restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Valley Ho, Scottsdale.
|Day 10||Grand Canyon||Sedona and the Mighty Grand Canyon.: Journey north to the bohemian colony of Sedona. Attractive to healers, this spiritual town's vortexes are rumoured to offer alternative medicines and practices. If retail therapy is more your thing, explore Sedona's shops and galleries, or simply take in its natural rugged beauty, which makes it a hotspot for hikers, swimmers and eager campers. Journey on to Grand Canyon National Park, where you have the opportunity to take an optional, once-in-a-lifetime, flightseeing tour by helicopter or plane. Join Local Expert Canyon Tim for an informative and exclusive talk about the wonders of the Grand Canyon before ending your day with a tranquil night inside the park and an appetizing Highlight Dinner with wine in the inviting Thunderbird Room of your lodge. Located on the South Rim, this beautiful venue offers a private balcony, so you can feast on hearty food while taking in the stunning views. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
National Park Lodges, Grand Canyon.
|Day 11||Monument Valley and Lake Powell||Monument Valley and Lake Powell.: Head through striking crimson landscapes to the historic Cameron Trading Post where you will find Native American arts and crafts. Journey on through the barren beauty of the desert to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, where you will board all-terrain vehicles (8) to explore the valley with your Navajo guide. Stop at the Glen Canyon Dam to learn about its impact on the Colorado River before arriving at your lakefront resort. (Breakfast)|
Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Lake View or Marina View Rooms).
|Day 12||Leisurely Lake Powell||Leisurely Lake Powell.: Your morning is at leisure. Simply relax and enjoy the resort's facilities or enjoy some extra time to catch up with your fellow travellers. Later today, a serene cruise through the narrow sandstone turns of Antelope Canyon awaits. End the day with a breathtaking sunset from your lake view or marina view room. (Breakfast)|
|Day 13||BRYCE CANYON AND ZION NATIONAL PARKS||Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks.: Head to the sandstone cliffs of Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah. Here you will be met by pine trees and red rock pillars. You'll take a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the great amphitheatres of the odd-shaped monoliths, known as hoodoos, before travelling through more amazing scenery to the lush cliff-and-canyon landscape of Zion National Park. A day of sightseeing deserves some evening festivities. Join your Travel Director and new friends for a Highlight Dinner and wine to discuss your take on the ethereal characters of Utah's famous canyon. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Zion National Park Lodge.
|Day 14||Las Vegas||Zion to Las Vegas.: Depart the tranquil ambiance of Zion National Park Lodge and board a private Zion Canyon Shuttle. Live commentary will take you through the scenic highlights of the park, followed by some downtime to explore on your own. Depart the natural beauty of the park to arrive in the bright lights and glamour of Las Vegas. With an array of shopping malls, live shows and dining opportunities, this dazzling destination is sure to entertain. And for those looking to hit the casinos, make sure you come with your poker face ready. (Breakfast)|
Caesars Palace, Las Vegas (Julius Tower Deluxe Room).
|Day 15||Salt Lake City||Salt Lake City.: Today you'll travel to Utah's capital, Salt Lake City, where you'll spend the night. Lying between Wasatch Range and the Great Salt Lake, this mountainous city is perfect for outdoorsy types, with a strong focus on skiing and fishing. It is also the headquarters of the Mormon faith. Dinner with wine will be served at your hotel this evening. (Breakfast)|
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake City (Western Cabin).
|Day 16||Jackson and Grand Teton National Park||Jackson and Grand Teton National Park.: As you move on from Salt Lake City, take in iconic Temple Square and the State Capitol building, before heading north across the Oregon Trail to historic Jackson. Have your cameras ready for the famous elk antlers that adorn the central square, and for eager shoppers there are a number of charming traditional boutiques to browse. Relax at Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa and savour a Dinner with wine in the heart of the Tetons. Staying in the park itself, you'll have the opportunity to explore the grounds after hours. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole.
|Day 17||Yellowstone National Park||Yellowstone National Park.: Wake up to a mountainous view like no other and witness the striking Grand Tetons thrust skyward 6,562 feet (2,000 metres) from the valley floor. In keeping with today's rustic country charm, you'll enter Yellowstone, the world's first National Park. Known for its unique geothermal activity, spectacular landscapes and abundant wildlife, you'll experience Wyoming in all its glory. Keep an eye out for black bears or wolves. Tonight you'll stay in the National Park Lodges, allowing you to experience the park after hours, in its natural glory. (Breakfast)|
National Park Lodges, Yellowstone.
|Day 18||Yellowstone National Park||Geysers and Colourful Mudpots.: Savour the surreal surroundings of Yellowstone with a relaxed start. Walk among the rainbow tinted hot springs and watch the erupting geysers as you take in the history of the park on an informative stroll with your Travel Director. Catch the renowned colourful bubbling mud pots and observe Old Faithful geyser shooting water over 120 feet (37 metres) into the air. You'll behold the powerful roar of Lower Yellowstone Falls, before heading back to your lodge. The National Park is also famous for its wildlife, so keep an eye out for the Yellowstone ram, wolves, bears and elk. (Breakfast)|
National Park Lodges, Yellowstone.
|Day 19||The Ranch At Ucross||The Ranch at Ucross.: Set off on your travels through the stark Shoshone Canyon and Absaroka Rocky Mountains to the Wild West Town of Cody. Learn more about America's great Western legends at the Buffalo Bill Centre. End the day in Clearmont, Wyoming where you'll check in to your abode for the night. Here you'll enjoy a ranch style Highlight Dinner with wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Ranch at UCross, Clearmont.
|Day 20||Into the Black Hills||Into the Black Hills.: Live the American frontier dream and begin your day with a scenic country horseback ride (8). If playing cowboy isn't your thing, perhaps go fishing or merely relax and take in your beautiful surroundings, the choice is yours. Make your way to Devils Tower, an astounding geological feature that protrudes out of the surrounding the Black Hills. This symbolic landmark is considered sacred to the Lakota and other tribes. Experience Spearfish Canyon, a favoured spot among wildlife enthusiasts and one famous for its elvish woodland beauty. The limestone palisades of this creek-carved gorge are more ancient than the Grand Canyon. (Breakfast)|
Spearfish Canyon Lodge.
|Day 21||Custer State Park||Custer and the Wild, Wild West.: A day for those looking to explore the wild west, try to spot pronghorn antelope as you cross the great high plains to the Black Hills of South Dakota. You'll also get to speak to members of the Lakota tribe as they share a fascinating live narrative of the Great Sioux Nation. Once in Deadwood, you'll have the opportunity to join Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour, while a Local Expert will talk about the days of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, who made this once lawless town famous during the Gold Rush of the 1870s. Continue on to Custer State Park, renowned for its beautiful landscape and abundant wildlife. (Breakfast)|
State Game Lodge at Custer State Park.
|Day 22||Custer State Park||The Monuments of the Black Hills.: What better way to spend your last full day than delving further into the history of this fascinating country? The heart of the Black Hills offers spectacular representations of the nation's past. You'll start by viewing Crazy Horse Memorial, which is dedicated to all Native Americans. An exclusive Insight Experience awaits as you are taken up to the 641 feet (195 metres) long and 563 feet (172 metres) tall sculpture to stand face to face with the world's largest mountain carving. Afterwards, travel to iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Here, carvings of Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt overlook the landscape. The rest of the day is yours to explore in Custer State Park. Join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a Celebration Dinner, as you reflect on your adventure across the wide-open spaces of America's national parks. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 23||Rapid City||Depart Rapid City.: Those ending in Rapid City may depart at any time. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class